The UJ Centre for Cyber Security is a initiative undertaken by the University of Johannesburg (UJ) and the Academy of Computer Science and Software Engineering (ACSSE) to address cybercrime in South Africa and Africa.
It is the first such dedicated facility for Cyber Security established in Africa. The establishment of this Centre at the UJ is a unique opportunity to advance the Cyber Security of all users in South Africa and Africa.
Purpose of the Centre
The main purpose of the Centre is to act as a trusted, independent and objective body which can deliver a wide range of services in the area of Cyber Security and Critical Information Infrastructure Protection (CIIP) to stakeholders in SA, southern Africa and eventually Africa.
These services will be delivered making use of expertise coming from different areas, including:
- The Academy for Computer Science and Software Engineering of the University of Johannesburg that have an internationally acknowledged set of expertise in the relevant areas;
- International experts who will be invited; and
- Companies in South Africa and internationally who are willing to partner with the Centre to advance the level of Cyber Security in South Africa and Africa - the Industry Partners of the Centre.
Stakeholders to whom services can be provided include:
- The SA Government and all its Agencies and Departments;
- Companies in South Africa;
- SMMEs in South Africa;
- The community at large (schools, home users etc.) - The activities in this area will specifically concentrate on cyber security and protection in the mobile environment;
- Other countries in southern Africa and Africa; and
- Other interested parties.
The Centre can therefore be seen as a central point, on national and international level, for expertise and activities related to Cyber Security and CIIP - trusted by its stakeholders and acting objectively and independent from any outside forces.
Terms and Conditions
Please read the University of Johannesburg Terms and Conditions here.
This website registers cases of cybercrime submitted by the public in anonymous format. The Centre for Cyber Security of the University of Johannesburg handles the submitted information confidentially.
Submitted information is only used to create statistics on trends etc. No submitted case will be followed up or investigated and no individual feedback about a submitted case will be given.
The Centre and the UJ accepts no responsibility for submitted information except to use the information for the compilation of statistics.